1800 Calorie Menu – Day One- by Susan Bowerman, MS, RD, CSSD, FAND
Today’s 1800 calorie menu starts with delicious green smoothie that boasts a serving of fruit and two servings of spinach – and it’s packed with protein to provide staying power.
For lunch, a tangy kale and apple salad is paired with a bowl of lentil soup that gets a creamy-tasting protein boost from Greek yogurt. A salmon burger for dinner helps boost your intake of omega-3 fats, and is served with a green salad, some spicy pinto beans and herbed carrots.
“Cook once, eat twice” – you’ll cook extra carrots for dinner and add to your shake tomorrow morning.
BREAKFAST – Green Smoothie
- 1 serving Herbalife Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix, Vanilla flavor
- 1 cup (240ml) nonfat milk or plain soy milk
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (165g) frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 cups (60g) baby spinach leaves
Place all ingredients in the blender and blend until very smooth.
Tip: Baby spinach has a milder flavor than “grown up” spinach
MID-MORNING SNACK – Protein Snack Bar*
There are plenty of snack bars to choose from in the 150 calorie range. For the most staying power, look for one that has at least 10 grams of protein like a Herbalife Deluxe Protein Bar
LUNCH – Kale and Apple Salad with “Creamy” Lentil Soup
For Kale Salad: In a medium bowl, make a salad dressing by stirring together 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Add 3 cups (200g) finely shredded fresh kale leaves, 1 large grated carrot and 1 medium diced apple, then toss.
For Lentil Soup: Heat 1 cup (240ml) prepared lentil soup; when hot, slowly stir in 1/2 cup (135g) nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt, curry powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Heat gently but don’t allow to boil.
Tip: Choose a canned lentil-vegetable soup that’s light in sodium with about 150-175 calories per cup (240ml)
MID-AFTERNOON SNACK – Sliced Egg and Tomato
Slice a medium fresh tomato and one hard boiled egg. Top tomato slices with egg slices, season with salt and pepper.
DINNER – Salmon Burgers with Salad, Spicy Beans and Herbed Carrots
- 2 frozen commercial salmon burger patties – 4 ounces (120g) each or make your own
- 1 whole grain hamburger bun
- Sliced onion, tomato, pickles, grainy mustard, if desired
- 1/2 cup (135g) canned pinto beans, heated and sprinkled with chili powder
- 1 cup (130g) frozen sliced carrots, steamed and sprinkled with rice vinegar and dried dill
For Baby Green Salad: Toss 4 cups (120g) mixed baby greens with 2 tbsps reduced-fat ranch dressing
Cook burger patties according to package or recipe directions. Serve open-face on bun, topped with onion, tomatoes, pickles, mustard. Serve salad, carrots and beans on the side.
Cook extra carrots & set aside 1/2 cup (75g) (before seasoning) for tomorrow’s shake
SNACK – 1 cup (150g) fresh strawberries
Too much food? Still hungry?
How to adjust calories to meet your needs.
An 1800 calorie meal plan may not be right for you.
Too full? If you feel that 1800 calories is too much, here are three things you can change in any of the menus for the week:
1) eliminate the mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack, which will cut about 150 calories;
2) eliminate the fruit snack at night (75 calories);
3) cutting one starch portion will reduce the calorie load by 100 calories. (One starch portion = 1/2 cup cooked beans, pasta, quinoa, couscous or rice, 1/2 hamburger bun, 1 slice whole grain bread)
Still hungry? If you feel that you need more calories, you can:
1) add another serving of shake mix to your shake in the morning (100 calories);
2) double the portion of the mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack (150 calories);
3) increase protein at one or both meals by about 3 ounces (85g) which will add about 150 calories;
4) add another serving of starch to one of your meals. (One starch portion = 1/2 cup cooked beans, pasta, quinoa, couscous or rice, 1/2 hamburger bun, 1 slice whole grain bread)
Need support with your weight loss goals?
Contact Your Independent Herbalife Distributor TODAY!
All Herbalife products and nutritional/ beauty/ fitness/ success advice available from:
INDEPENDENT HERBALIFE DISTRIBUTOR SINCE 1994
Helping you enjoy a healthy, active and successful life!
Empowering You To Change
Call USA: +12143290702
Add me at Facebook: http://sasafb.fitmy.biz