What Does Body Confidence Mean to You?
by Jacquie Carter, beauty expert
People come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. Plenty of us also come with a hefty amount of history: past decisions or situations that impact how we look and feel today. That’s why I want to drill down into body confidence and think about why making people feel happier about all areas of themselves is so important.
Related Article: Body Weight Circuit Training Routine
To better understand how I can help you (and how you can help me!) I put the question out on our Herbalife Facebook page. Hundreds of you answered so thank you to everyone who joined in! Many of your comments were so personal but also universal. A lot of you had similar responses that really capture how you and many of us feel about body confidence.
What does body confidence mean to you?
– Being able to take your shirt off without being embarrassed. – Kevin
– Being able to tell yourself “you got this” and feeling great of your accomplishments even if it’s small. – Veronica
– Being comfortable in your own skin. Being able to look in the mirror and be Happy with what you see. – Wheels
– Being happy in your own body – Charlie
– Body confidence to me is loving yourself completely regardless of the size or shape. But knowing that you alone have the power to change it. – Cherie
– Feeling confident about everything and spreading confidence. Mantra of ‘feel good factor’. – Gudia
– Feeling confident! Not having to worry if your tummy is bulging out when you are sitting down. – Ivy
– Feeling happy, being healthy, and most of all Loving the skin I’m in. – Tear
– For me it means you can carry yourself in any dress. Feel good and energetic. – Rohit
– Higher self esteem. Confidence. Health happiness – Toni
– I strive to be healthy but love myself regardless! – Briana
– It means being confident in my skin, feeling confidence in my presence, feeling strong and healthy. – Rosa
– It’s how you feel about how your body looks. Being able to wear sleeveless tops without thinking everyone is looking at you or thinking why is she out in that, her arms are too fat. Not caring what people are saying about you … There is your body confidence – Nicola
– Like what you see in the mirror and smile with joy inside out at the reflection of your being. – Patricia
– Loving and accepting myself but taking care of my health. – Maria
– Loving your body how it is today while making changes toward a better body for tomorrow. – Danielle
– To be the best I possibly can be. – Anton
What makes you feel body confident?
– Having a flat tummy. – L Chaka
– Its simple, I got fascinated by the great feeling of differences, slimmer waistline, my biceps, triceps are growing bigger when I combined exercise, my ab is having the 4 pax shape… I don’t feel tired that I used to be even I played 2 sessions of badminton (2hrs x 2 sessions) in a same day. I sleep great and, next morning, I am fully FRESH! AWESOME! – Shawni
– Knowing everyday I get healthier n stronger…. – Darren
– Knowing that this is the healthiest I’ve been, inside and out and that I’ll continue to do so to get in the best shape of my life x – Vicki
– Looking good in something that you worked to look good in. – Tayla
– My healthy habits in food choices and working out !!! – Damaris
– That I can breathe easier. – Paul
– Tight jeans [kiss] – Sophie
– When I feel awake, strong and alert. – Shawn
It’s interesting to me how many of you have equated body confidence to size. As Channelle puts so clearly, body confidence means to her ‘nothing jiggling or wiggling when I move.’ Gee, I bet we can all relate to that! But is that it? I love that so many of you also talk about energy, health and happiness. Michelle made a great point too: ‘Loving your body no matter where you are in your health journey’ is critical.’
A few of you wrote that building your body confidence frees you from negative self-perception. Holly passionately said body confidence means; ‘not being ashamed!’ and Cassandra added: ‘not thinking negatively about myself no matter where I am or who I’m with.’ These comments really resonate with me because I believe we all waste so much energy and time wishing we looked better and it’s painful to realize how many of us are self-critical.
It strikes me that driving out this negativity is one of the hardest tasks all of us have. My hope is that together we can try to help each of us overcome negative thoughts and cherish our own quirks. Although it’s easier said than done – our differences are important and we need to embrace the things that make us unique.
I know I wouldn’t want to live in a world where we are all size zero and 5’8’’ – or whatever your personal dream of perfection might be – but I do understand that it feels nice to wish we could be the one’s with the perfect body. That’s what makes Clarissa’s statement so true: body confidence means ‘feeling happy, healthy and comfortable in my own skin.’ And Jo-Anne’s thought demonstrates the power we give others over our happiness: ‘Being proud that I’m losing weight and getting fit & healthy & starting not to be embarrassed about what I look like xx.’
Many of you said it and I’ve felt the same way – we feel happier when people notice we look good. Bethan said she gets a body confidence boost ‘when people notice and tell me how much better I look!‘ Ashleigh agreed: ‘when someone compliments her progress it makes her feel body confident. Having others recognize your efforts can be rewarding, but let’s also remember that any body shape, healthy eating and fitness goals we set should primarily be for us as individuals… but yes, I agree that encouragement certainly can help build our body confidence!
Written by beauty expert, Jacquie Carter. Jacquie is Director of Outer Nutrition at Herbalife.
Contact Your Independent Herbalife Distributor TODAY!
INDEPENDENT HERBALIFE DISTRIBUTOR SINCE 1994
Solutions for Weight Management, SPORTS Nutrition, Beauty and LIFESTYLE
Helping you enjoy a healthy, active and successful life!
Order your Herbalife Products ONLINE TODAY!
Click here: https://www.goherbalife.com/goherb
Add me at Facebook: http://sasafb.fitmy.biz